Thursday, January 12, 2006

First Aid for the USMLE

There is a lot of discussion these days about which version of First Aid to buy/use. Lots of people have hand-me-downs from recent years. Well, the news is, everything up to the 2005 edition is similar, obviously, with subtle changes and error corrections. However, the 2006 edition is pretty different - at least in layout. I don't actually have my 2006 edition yet, but the word on the street is, all of the pages have been re-organized so the information is now presented as a system based resource. This might be good for some people, bad for others, and even still, some might not even care. Personally, I'm the traditional rigid and conservative old school type. I liked the old version, and have never been a fan of these new age system based teaching fads. And yes, it is just a fad. The next big thing will show up and the deans of all of the schools will be tripping over themselves trying to keep up with the trend. The truth is, intelligent people will excel in any environment, whether it be old school or systems based. Bottom line, if system based is for you, go for 2006. If not, stick with 2005.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

Hey : )
I'm here from sdn, an IMG too and boy it sucks : ( I'm planning on taking part 1 in the summer but haven't checked the ECFMG site yet.
FA 2005 for me, & I'm not changing it cuz with the way I'm going, I'd have to get every new edition!

January 18, 2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger Pollicis said...

Hi :) Lots of us in the same boat. You should get moving on that ECFMG application. I still haven't heard back from mine yet!

January 18, 2006 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually like thew new FA better. With the 2005 one i found myself always copying and taping/pasting parts of pages (like Resp physio) next to other parts (like Resp Path). So when I heard the new FA was systems based, i dashed for the bookstore and fell in love with it.

But like you said earlier, just stick to the one you're most comfortable with.
Best of luck

January 20, 2006 2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are on the same boat. Thanks for the info.Good luck.

January 29, 2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home