Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Post-Exam Musings

Post-Exam Musings

Ok, I’ve been done for about a week now, and I’ve had some time for reflection.

I walked out of the exam room thinking that the exam wasn’t too bad. To be sure, there were about 3-5 questions per block that I just had no idea about. I ended up being very liberal with my ‘marking’ of questions; maybe about 10-15 per block. These were distilled down to the 3-5 WTF questions that I just tried to make an educated guess on. So what else can I say? Let’s see…

Timing: I think I did Kaplan Q-bank the wrong way. Most of the time, I would finish a random block of 50 in less than 30 minutes, and I hardly ever re-checked a marked question. I also ended up marking over 800 questions as either incorrect or interesting - ie: I got it wrong, or I learned something new, and would go back and read them later – clever, right? Wrong. By the time I had finished Kaplan, there was no time to go back to these. Well, I probably could have, if it were not for an overwhelming feeling of wanting to throw the computer out of the window. After doing 2100 questions, you tend to get a little bored, frustrated, and lots of other nice adjectives that I can’t seem to conjure at this moment. Here’s the punch-line: Don’t do the questions at the last minute. Also, keep your number of resources low, don’t buy too many books, because you’ll never get through them all anyways.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is quite interesting and helpful.I'm preparing for usmle step 1 and am really worried about Pharmacology.Any ideas as to how I can improve?Please help!
Did you do a lot of questions per day?
Is there adequate time to pee after each block? That's a big prob I have when I get nervous and are we allowed to take sweets in to the test centre. Hope u'll be able to reply. Thanks so much .

April 01, 2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger Pollicis said...

Thanks for the comment. Pharmacology wasn't that bad on my exam. Try to know all the major classes of drugs and their side effects. Do lots of questions but don't burn out on them. Try to read the answers and understand things. Quality over quantity.

And yes, I went pee lots. Don't worry about that. But remember, every pee break takes time away from a good solid lunch break.

No, you can't take sweets into the test center. Not even a bottle of water.

April 01, 2008 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

April 08, 2008 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home