Saturday, December 03, 2005

The (Mis)Adventures of DrMom

Dear Fellow Step 1 Blog Readers:

I recently posted a message on an online forum (SDN) with a link to this blog. I was shocked to discover, that, within hours, not only was my message deleted, but my account on that forum was also removed by an rather heavy handed moderator with the screen-name DrMom (I can only assume this is not her legal, given name). In my defense, I posted another message on the same forum, which, within minutes, was promptly deleted. It reads:

Dear DrMom,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do, however, take offense to your removal of my SDN account without any notification or method of appeal. It is this sort of heavy handed moderating that makes the sharing of information unduly difficult.

Granted, my original post had a link to my blog, which for all intents and purposes has no products or services for sale, and serves only to provide timely information for students such as myself who are currently in the process of preparing for the USMLE. This is where I believe the SDN policy is inconsistent. What difference does it make if the link to my blog is within the message itself or within my signature? In both cases, users are still able to reach the same end point. Furthermore, the content of my original post contained no offensive, libelous or defamatory comments, and was well within the spirit of this forum.

I registered on SDN because I have found it to contain valuable information in many areas important to the medical student. I also registered in order to share what information I have gathered, in this case, with respect to the USMLE, and not simply to “register on SDN in order to promote my own website”. Unfortunately, I have been denied a means to make further contributions to SDN.

Kind Regards

------------------------------

DrMom's explanation for the deletion was as follows:

SDN's policy is to close accounts of anyone who registers for the sole purpose of advertising something in the regular forums. We do not give warning because it is a blatant violation of the Terms of Service for the site. We consistently count webpages in the same category as a product or service. I don't even usually send an email, so you got more consideration than most.

As you can see, she fails to understand the underlying issues at hand:

i) What difference does it make if you post a link in your message or beneath it, in your signature? Why does one constitute a violation of the terms of service, while the other, is an acceptable practice?

ii) How can you determine if the sole purpose of registering to the SDN was for advertising if you summarily deleted my account, denying me the opportunity to make any contribution, advertising or otherwise?

However, I do feel quite humbled that I, a lowly medical student, deserved the consideration of an electronic correspondence from her magnificence. How privileged I feel to have received this email from DrMom (according to her publicly viewable signature, a 4th year student from the world renowned Oklahoma State University-College of Osteopathic Medicine, and… the “Official Mom of SDN”).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those power hungry moderators need to chill...

December 03, 2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much nicer forums? I guess it's all relative. Anyway, what are you selling? 'Cuz I thought an advertisement was something that was attached to some sort of product or service that can be purchased for money. Truth be told, I always liked DrMom's posts on SDN. Oh well, keep on bloggin', baby!

December 03, 2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Pollicis said...

mdiva, I'm not selling anything and my post on SDN had nothing for sale. My "crime" was to include a link to this site, which provides infinitely witty and timely information about the USMLE.

December 04, 2005 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, she is one of the typical OSU DO students with a chip on her shoulder.

They are always bragging about how they have Goljan for Path as if it was their "prestigious" name that attracted him.

Truth be told they have Goljan (an MD) because he was teaching at the Oral Roberts College of Medicine in Tulsa, Oklahoma and it shut down. So he just moved to the osteopathic med school in Tulsa Oklahoma (OSU) out of convenience.

The OSU osteopathic college is known by OK residents as "The school you go to if you don't get into the state MD school"

December 10, 2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Timeless Boulevard said...

I am 2 years late for this party...but, I am currently reading for my step1 which I take in a few months and I am also blogging about my experiences...mostly to keep myself sane.

This is hilarious. She was petty indeed! Even after years of med school, some do not outgrow the crap they feed themselves. I have a classmate in med school who' also currently doing his steps. I remember him to be competitive in an unhealthy way, misleading you into obscure sources. And when he found out I was back in the US doing my stuff, he tyoed in a quick advise that I read some old notes we had back in med school--a very poorly transcribed one from a very poorly lectured Pathology subject by a rather not very gifted lecturer. This after years from graduation! Petty and pathetic!

August 05, 2007 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home