Monday, December 05, 2005

All's Fair in Love and War

Today I learned that US (and Canadian -- Canadians are people too!) medical students only pay $455.00 to write the USMLE Step 1. In contrast, I, IMG, have to pay $695.00. I’m curious as to what they will be doing with the extra $240.00. It certainly can’t be used to provide test facilities overseas since I’m writing the exam in North America. And, when you register for the exam, there is a $120.00 surcharge for writing the exam outside of North America. So basically, if you are an IMG, and you are writing the exam outside of North America, you get kicked where it counts, and then while you’re down, you get kicked once more, just for good measure. We’re all equals, right? It’s just that some people are more equal than others. Do I sound bitter? Yeah. A little bit. But it’s just going to make me want to study that much harder. Ain’t nobody gonna hold me down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, that really sucks, but great attitude. good luck on the exam!

December 06, 2005 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I went through the IMG process as well. But it was all worth it in the end. Trust me.

December 06, 2005 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home